Source : JA Stargardt Autographenhandlung

Source Title J.A. Stargardt Autographenhandlung
Description J.A. Stargardt GmbH & Co. KG Xantener Str. 6
Berlin Germany 10707

Contact Number: 49 (30) 8 82 25 42
Fax: 49 (30) 8 82 24 66

Scope of Text J.A. Stargardt was founded as book and music shop by Johann Carl Klage in Berlin in 1830. In 1885, Eugen Mecklenburg the Younger (1859-1925) bought the firm from Stargardt's widow. Mecklenburg's father, Eugen Mecklenburg the Elder (1819-1873), had also traded in books and autographs in Berlin. From 1925, Günther Mecklenburg (1898-1984) ran the firm. He continued the autograph trade, which become part of the firm's name. However, he gave more priority to the organization of auctions. In 1944, the business premises were destroyed and large parts of the firm's evacuated stock lost in East Prussia in 1945. After the war, Günther Mecklenburg reestablished the firm at Eutin in Holstein. From 1946, catalogues were published and, from 1950, auctions of autographs again held. In 1952, the firm's seat was moved to Marburg, which was geographically more central and had the advantage of two big libraries nearby. In the same year, Klaus Mecklenburg (born in 1930) entered the firm followed by his son Wolfgang Mecklenburg (born in 1964) in 1988.Since German reunification, auctions of autographs are again held in Berlin. In the past decades, we have auctioned significant collections of autographs, among others the collections Albrecht (in co-operation with the Erasmushaus, Basle), Ammann, Geigy and Meyer-Cohn. Today, we offer between 1400 and 1600 items in our auctions from all classic fields of collection; the turnover of an auction amounts to about 2 to 3 million Euro.
Total Records in AED 2316